Outgoing Erasmus+ traineeship
Following the Government measures taken to handle the Covid-19 emergency, the Erasmus Office will be closed until new governmental arrangements will be made.
If you have doubts or need further information, you can contact:
- the staff of the Foreign Students Sector at email@example.com
- the staff of the International Activities for Didactics Sector at firstname.lastname@example.org
- the staff of the International Mobility Sector at email@example.com
- for inquires on Visiting Professors at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is it?
Erasmus+ for traineeship is an opportunity for students and graduates to complete a traineeship period in universities, public or private companies, training or research centres, in one of the participating states in the mobility program. It provides a grant to eligible students and graduates to help them make the most of the experience.
You are eligible to apply if:
- you are regularly enrolled at UniGe
- you are enrolled for single courses leading to admission to master’s degree courses (known as a carriera ponte)
- you have the admission prerequisites for each exchange as established by the foreign Institution and by the individual departments of UniGe at the time the application is submitted
You can participate even if you are a UniGe graduate, but in this case you must have submitted your application before graduating and the mobility must be undertaken within 12 months after the graduation date.
How long can you stay?
Your Erasmus can last from 2 to 12 months.
Have you had previous Erasmus mobility experiences?
As a UniGe student, you have the opportunity to undertake one or more Erasmus+ mobility.
The total period reserved for mobility is different according to the study cycle you are enrolled in:
- I cycle - Bachelor's degree: 12 months maximum (360 days)
- II cycle - Master's degree, 1st level Master: 12 months maximum (360 days)
- Master's degree (5/6 years): 24 months maximum (720 days)
- III cycle - Ph.D., specialization course, 2nd level master: 12 months maximum (360 days)
Before applying, you have to check that the residual amount of time remaining for another Erasmus+ mobility is at least 60 days.
For example, if you have already undertaken, in the same study cycle (Bachelor's degree), an Erasmus mobility of 5 months for study purposes and of 5 months for traineeship purposes (for a total of 10 months), you are allowed to apply and spend a maximum period of 2 months abroad, independently of the duration of the scholarship in the call.
Check the Erasmus manifesto to find the list of partner institutions in the Important documents section of this page.
The assignment of the destination is the exclusive competence of the Selection Committees. The preferences expressed by you are purely indicative.
The Selection Committee may assign you to a different location from the ones indicated in your application if:
- considered more appropriate
- the positions available are already assigned to candidates ahead of you in the ranking
- the period linked to the locations you have chosen is not compatible with the months you may have already spent in previous Erasmus mobility experiences
Partner institutions (independent choice)
You may participate in the Erasmus+ traineeship program also with a partner institution of your choice. You will have to:
- find the partner institution
- find a responsible person among the teaching staff of your department
- fill in the letter of intent, get it signed from the responsible person in UniGe and in the partner institution. Remember that it must be attached to the application form. Please, read the instructions in the Important documents section of this page
Keep in mind that the eligible partner institutions are:
- higher education institutions holding an Erasmus Charter for Higher Education
- any public or private organization active in the labor market or in areas such as education, training and youth
- any non-profit organization or NGO
- an organization for occupational guidance, professional advice or counseling services
You cannot choose as your destination:
- EU institutions and other EU bodies including specialized agencies. The complete list is available at ec.europa.eu/institutions/index_en.htm
- organizations managing EU programs, such as National Agencies (to avoid possible conflicts of interest and/or double funding)
The organisation identified must be based in a Programme Country.
Please note that mobility to Turkey are currently suspended.
How to find an internship in Europe
Platforms and sites are available to locate a location independently, including:
- ErasmusIntern.org is the place where interns and internships meet. You can have your profiles online, search for internships and apply. Visit the website and check the opportunities that ErasmusIntern.org can offer you
- Stage4You, the right place if you are looking for an internship in Europe
Traineeship in UK
If you are a non-EU student enrolled at an Italian Higher Education Institute, before leaving for a traineeship in the UK you must obtain a Tier5 Temporary worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa or a visa issued to a temporary worker. Read the procedure to follow on the Erasmus+ website.
Traineeship in France
According to French law, the receiving organization must pay the trainee if the mobility lasts longer than 2 months (corresponding to 44 working days).
How to apply
1. Read the call and the Erasmus Manifesto
In the Important documents section of this page, please carefully read:
- the call to find out how to enroll and participate
- the Erasmus Manifesto, to check the prerequisites of your Department group, and the prerequisites of the foreign university where you'd like to go
Apply for the selection procedure via servizionline.
You will have to attend a mandatory interview.
You will be excluded from the interview if you meet the minimum requirements set by your Department Area and, eventually, by the Foreign Institution.
You will be selected according to:
- your academic curriculum
- your language skills
- your learning motivations
- your personal motivations (e.g. your academic interests)
The information about the selection process, the date and place of the mandatory interview etc., will be published exclusively online on the Department website of your Course.
5. Check the rankings
Check if your ranking has been published.
6. Accept the scholarship
If you have been selected, accept the scholarship.
7. Sign the agreement
Read carefully the instructions, on the UniGe OnlineService webpage, for signing the Erasmus+ agreement.
Verify your language skills
If you need a certificate of your level of knowledge of the foreign language(s), you can contact the Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche - ex CLAT (Language Skills Development Sector).
You can take the English test and 2 other languages, depending on the location of your interest (you can choose between French, German, Spanish and Portuguese) and booking the tests, according to the deadlines indicated on the Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche website, on the Aulaweb platform.
Moreover, the Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche (ex CLAT) will provide to examine the language certifications by certifying authorities. To obtain the accreditation of certifications, please upload your files in AulaWeb according to the deadlines indicated on the website of the Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche (ex CLAT).
The test’s results are preferential elements of evaluation to allocate nominees in the ranking. The Selection Committee may apply a reduction in the score if you:
- haven’t taken the tests provided by the Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche (ex CLAT)
- haven’t received a declaration in lieu about your foreign language level by the Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche (ex CLAT)
- haven’t attached any certification to your application
N.B. For more information write to email@example.com
Foreign language courses for outgoing students
Visit Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche (ex CLAT) website to enroll in foreign language course.
You can only apply if you have accepted the Erasmus+ grant and the selection committee has expressly indicated you as the beneficiary of a foreign language course.
Please remember that you will be excluded if you have to enroll in courses without having accepted the scholarship.
Before you leave
Before you leave, please remember to:
- check the deadlines and ways to enroll in a foreign university, if you have chosen one of the destinations of the manifesto
- check your identity card or passport validity (renew if it's about to expire)
- check the "Entering and staying in the foreign country" section of the call
- check that you have your Health Insurance Card with you and make sure that you have health coverage at your ASL
- enroll in the language courses of the Settore Sviluppo Competenze Linguistiche - ex CLAT (Language Skills Development Sector), if assigned
- fill in the Before the mobility part of the Learning Agreement, which you can find in the Important documents section of this page (please, read the guidelines). Sign it and have it signed by the President of the CCS or the Department Delegate. Scan the document and send it by email to the contact person of the foreign university. Ask to sign it and send it back. Once you've got it, please send it by email to School Desk
N.B. For more information please read the Erasmus+ for traineeship student kit and the International mobility manual for students in the Important documents section of this page.
Renounce of the Erasmus+ mobility period and scholarship
You can renounce your mobility period and your scholarship by using the renouncement form (Annex C in the Important documents section of this page).
During the Erasmus+
On your arrival
- enroll in the foreign university or register at the partner institution
- within 5 days of arrival, have the certificate of arrival (Annex A in the Important documents section of this page) filled, stamped and signed sent by the foreign university or by the partner institution. Send it to Settore Mobilità Internazionale
To modify the Learning Agreement
You have the option to make changes to the Learning Agreement, filling the During the mobility section. Have the document signed by all responsible persons (partner institution and UniGe) and yourself.
To extend your stay abroad
If you wish to extend your stay abroad beyond the duration provided for in the agreement, you must send to the International Mobility Service the authorization request (Annex B in the Important documents section on this page) with a declaration of the foreign University's willingness to accept the Erasmus+ conditions for the new duration.
Remember the period abroad:
- may not last more than 12 months (must necessarily end by 30 September of the reference year)
- there must be no interruption between the period of study already authorized and its extension
- you will have to justify your extension request filling the During the mobility of the Learning Agreement
You are about to come back
Before returning to Italy, remember to:
- have your Certificate of Attendance, in the Important documents section of this page, sent from the foreign university to UniGe International Mobility Service or, when you are back, bring the master copy to the UniGe International Mobility Service, Piazza della Nunziata 6, 2 floor
- have the After the mobility section of the Learning Agreement filled by the partner institution and sent to the Erasmus Office. Please, have a copy sent to UniGe International Mobility Service
Once you are back
Conversion of the activities
Once you are back:
- send a copy of the After the mobility section of the Learning Agreement to the Internationalisation School Office
- send a copy of it to the head of the programme
The head of the programme will ask the Programme Council for:
- approval of the activities you have done abroad
- conversion of the activities into ECTS credits
Below you will find all the necessary documentation to participate in the Erasmus+ traineeship mobility program.
Please, remember to send the documents in PDF format and not in image format.
The documents for the a.y. 2021/22 will be available soon.
Please, check this page often.
- Erasmus+ for traineeship student's kit
- Learning Agreement for traineeship
- annex A - Certificate of arrival
- annex C - Renounce the Erasmus mobility period and related contributions
If you have been selected in the a.y. 2019/2020, please read carefully the National Agency's instructions regarding the cause of "force majeure" in the case of interrupted, suspended, or canceled mobility.
Following UniGe's request, an extension was also accorded for the mobility for the 2019/2020 academic year. You can also continue the mobility after 30 September 2020 and complete your Erasmus+ experience by 30 September 2021.
- annex A - Certificate of arrival
- annex B - Request for period extension
- annex C - Renounce the Erasmus mobility period and related contributions
Manuela Chessa - firstname.lastname@example.org
International Mobility Service
Piazza della Nunziata 6 - second floor
Ph. +39 010 2099545 - Fax +39 010 2095012